Why Is A Follow-up Appointment After Abortion Important?
What is a safe medical abortion?
Select A Topic
Why it is done?
The reasons for undergoing abortion may vary depending on an individual’s unique circumstances and personal beliefs. Some women choose medical abortions because the pregnancy poses a significant threat to their health, others need to complete an early miscarriage and majority because the pregnancy was unintended.
How does an abortion with pills work?
It is essential to know that there are two different methods of administering the abortion tablets. The preferred strategy is by taking both mifepristone and misoprostol. The combination of both abortion pills has shown to be highly effective and safe, with a success rate of over 95%.
However, there is also an alternative method which is taking only misoprostol abortion pill if . It should be noted that this method is not as successful as the combination method but it can be considered in situations where mifepristone is not available or contraindicated.
Mifepristone and misoprostol
- A combination of Misoprostol and Mifepristone is 97% effective in terminating unwanted pregnancies.
- Swallow 1 mifepristone tablet and then have to wait for a period of 24 to 48 hours.
- After 24 hours, dissolve 4 misoprostol tablets under the tongue and as they melt swallow everything in your mouth. you may use some water to rinse and swallow.
- During this time, you shouldn’t eat or drink anything in order to ensure that the medication is properly digested.
- You might be required to swallow another extra 4 misoprostol pills after three hours if you’re more than nine weeks pregnant and haven’t started bleeding three hours after taking the pills, you’ll need to repeat the second step.
- Misoprostol alone may not be effective as well as the combination of misoprostol and mifepristone.
- Dissolve 4 Misoprostol tablets under your tongue and let them dissolve for 30 minutes.
- Swallow any remaining pieces in your mouth using water.
- Wait for 3 hours and take 4 more Misoprostol tablets with water.
- If you’re more than nine weeks pregnant, you’ll need to swallow another 4 tablets after 4 hours incase you havent started bleeding.
Add Your Heading Text Here
It’s important to always exercise caution and seek medical advice before embarking on the use of abortion medication. Not only may you be unaware of potential side effects but the procedure for using abortion medication may differ from what your healthcare provider recommends.
What To Expect!
Why women prefer medical abortion procedures
While personal preferences and circumstances may vary, it is important for individuals to have access to all options for safe and legal terminations of pregnancy, so that they can make the decision that is best for them. Medical abortions are
a commonly reported preference among a significant number of women that they would choose a medical termination of pregnancy over a surgical abortions for a variety of factors.
- For most women it feels more natural ike going through a miscarriage.
- The perceived ease and convenience of a medical abortion procedure, which involves taking medication to induce a miscarriage at home, may be an important consideration.
- Provides confidentiality and convivence because medication can be obtained via Tele-health without visiting an abortion pill clinic.
- Others may feel more in control of the process, as they are able to manage the timing and environment of the termination themselves.
- some women may find the prospect of surgery and anesthesia to be intimidating or even traumatic.
Potential risks of medical abortions
It is important to be aware of the potential risks that may be associated with a medical abortion. While this procedure can be a safe and effective option for many people, it is not without risk.
Medical abortion isn't an option if you:
Medication abortions provide women with an alternative way to end an unwanted pregnancy. However, it is important to note that this method may not be appropriate for everyone.
- Are too far along in your pregnancy. You shouldn’t attempt a medical abortion if you’ve been pregnant for more than nine weeks (after the start of your last period). Some types of medical abortion aren’t done after seven weeks of pregnancy.
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD) currently in place.
- Have a suspected pregnancy outside of the uterus. This is called ectopic pregnancy.
- Have certain medical conditions. These include bleeding disorders; certain heart or blood vessel diseases; severe liver, kidney or lung disease; or an uncontrolled seizure disorder.
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medicines.
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care.
- Have an allergy to the medicine used.
Even though an abortion through pills carries a low risk of complication, it is essential to speak with a medical professional who can provide you with the guidance and support you need throughout the process. At the end of the day, the decision to undergo a medical abortion is a deeply personal one that should be respected and supported by those around you.
- For a successful abortion procedure, mifepristone (Mifeprex) and misoprostol (Cytotec) must be used together.
- Abortion pills are very effective when taken correctly, and have a success rate of more than 90%.
- They can be taken up to 12 weeks into a pregnancy and have a low risk of causing complications.
- First Seek medical advice before embarking on a medical abortion pill procedure.
At Carlton Women’s Abortion clinic, we understand that every woman’s situation is unique and that medical termination of pregnancy may not always be the right option for everyone.
Therefore, if you or a friend is faced with a pregnancy that they want to terminate and using tablets ain’t an option, we also offer surgical abortion procedures in a safe and comfortable environment at affordable abortion rates.